The nose is the central, most prominent feature of the face and a major factor in defining balance and harmony among facial features. When the nose is out of proportion with other facial features or the nose does not complement the face, it can affect self-image and confidence. In most cases, the specific characteristics of the nose are a result of heredity; however the appearance of the nose many sometimes be the result of injury or prior surgery.
If you are bothered by the size or shape of your nose, then cosmetic surgery of the nose, or rhinoplasty, may be right for you. In general rhinoplasty improves the appearance and proportion of the nose, enhancing facial harmony and self-confidence. Surgery of the nose may also correct impaired breathing caused by structural defects in the nose.
What is cosmetic surgery of the nose?
Cosmetic surgery of the nose, or rhinoplasty, is a procedure to improve the appearance of the nose. Specific features addressed in cosmetic surgery of the nose, and strictly for appearance enhancement, include:
- Nose size, in relation to facial balance
- Nose width, at the bridge or in the size and position or the nostrils
- Nose profile, with visible humps or depressions on the bridge
- Nasal tip, that is enlarged or bulbous, drooping, upturned or hooked
- Nostrils that are large, wide or upturned
- Nasal asymmetry
These features are generally caused by heredity, however they can be caused by injury. In some cosmetic cases, the characteristics of the nose are not the only factors contributing to facial imbalance. The facial structure – especially a small chin, weak cheeks and/or lower jaw – may also contribute to imbalanced facial proportions. In these cases, surgery of the nose may be performed in conjunction with placement of facial implants or other procedures to achieve overall facial harmony.
If you have a personal desire to improve your appearance, surgery of the nose is best performed when facial growth is complete, beginning around age 15. Good candidates are:
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improvement
Your nose surgery
Cosmetic surgery of the nose is an individualized procedure that takes into account all the specific characteristics that contribute to the overall appearance of the nose and its relation to other facial features. Dr. Greg Ganske will carefully evaluate your individual case and goals for improvement to determine specific features to address through surgery of the nose. Appropriate techniques will then be defined and may include:
- Alteration of the nasal bridge
- Reshaping the nasal bridge
- Reducing the shape or width of the nose
- Reshaping the nasal tip
- Reducing the width or size of the nostrils
- Adjusting the angel between the nose and upper lip
If you desire a more symmetrical nose, keep in mind that everyone’s face is asymmetric to some degree. Results may not be completely symmetric, although the goal is to create facial balance and correct proportion. Facial augmentation with implants of the chin, cheeks and jaw may further enhance your outcomes.